Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dual Boot Ubuntu Crash - My Experience

I use Ubuntu together with windows. However last 2 weeks, I have problem where my ubuntu crash. This is the chronology of what happened to my ubuntu installation until it has been successfully reinstalled yesterday. 

First of all. I am installed ubuntu using Wubi installer. The first installation is through Wubi, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and ASUS laptop. Everything goes very good at first, installed NS2, TCL, TK easily. 

First phase of the try and error. 
  1. Updated my ubuntu, and somehow the ubuntu crash maybe power off during the update or maybe because of the compability problem with my hardware. 
  2. Tried to reinstall ubuntu via wubi. Wubi will detect whether the ubuntu already installed, and will try to remove current installation. 
  3. At first 2,3 try, wubi are able to remove ubuntu but unable to finish ubuntu installation where the installation hang at update-grub.
  4. Frustrating with wubi, I used USB drive to reinstall ubuntu. However the process hang at early stage of installation. 
  5. Tried to reinstall ubuntu again using Wubi. However wubi unable to remove current ubuntu installation due to missing file. I suspect it is because Kaspersky antivirus deleted the file. 
I was stuck at this installation. At this time, there are no choice but to format the partition. When I checked my partition in Windows Computer Manager. It seems that there are 3 unknown partition which represent ubuntu partition. The partition are messed up already, maybe due to the repeated re-installation tryout. So it left me with two options: (1) to format the partition and reinstall ubuntu at the partition. (2) start over with windows recovery followed by ubuntu installation. The second option is my choice. Why? because I feel everything is messed up = ( . 

2nd Phase of Try and Error.

This is the sequence for my solution.
  1. Backup Data 
  2. Recover window - During boot, in grub screen - choose another windows loader (Yes you have two windows loader - one for windows 7 the other one for recovery, in my case it is Windows ME (Loader) ] . Or you can use recovery CD. 
  3. Once the windows is reinstalled, I  had a problem to enter windows, due to GRUB problem. Grub is the bootloader, however grub was working due to windows re-installation. 
  4. Its okay! Reinstall ubuntu using USB. It  automatically reinstall GRUB. Now I have my windows and Ubuntu back. 
This is my solution, with help of few friends! Thanks to them. However the solution maybe not very good for you. You can try to just format the partition for ubuntu installation, it will affect grub. Some of my friends recommends to use other bootloader to replace grub. I personally never try it out yet.  

IMHO, having ubuntu in windows is not a good option. Ubuntu and windows is better to be in separate partition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment